Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Rules are clear ... I am a Bad Ass!

After yesterday's poor performance, I committed to riding today "Come Hell or High Water".  Well ... I got the later of the two.  Marin got 1/4 inch of rain from midnight last night until 8am this morning.  It seems that every drop of that 1/4 inch fell on me. 

The title of this post refers to a very funny bike blog called 'Velominati', http://www.velominati.com.  The site is a collection of funny thoughts by some super hardcore bikers.  As with any elitist sport, a set of unspoken etiquette develops which, to outsiders, can come across as snobbery ('don't talk during my back stroke',  'don't step in the putting line between the ball and the hole', blah, blah, blah).  The Velominati have memorialized biking etiquette into 'The Rules'.  I hope that the 'The Rules' are intended to be tongue-in-cheek.  Otherwise, I am in big trouble.  I probably broke a dozen or more of 'The Rules' on this mornings ride alone.  I will, however, benefit today from Rule #9. 

Rule #9 - If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment